Adverbs are terms that modify any one of the annotated following:
- a verb(He drove gradually. — exactly How did he drive?)
- an adjective (He drove a really fast automobile. — How fast had been their vehicle?)
- another adverb (She moved quite gradually down the aisle. — How gradually did she go?)
Adverbs usually tell when, where, why, or under just just just what conditions one thing occurs or occurred. Adverbs often end up in -ly; but, numerous phrases and words maybe maybe perhaps not closing in -ly serve an adverbial function plus an ending that is-ly maybe perhaps maybe not a warranty that a word is definitely an adverb. The text beautiful, lonely, motherly, friendly, neighbourly, as an example, are adjectives:
- That lovely woman everyday lives in a friendly neighbourhood.
If a small grouping of terms containing a topic and acts that are verb an adverb (changing the verb of a phrase), its called an adverb clause:
- whenever this class is finished, we’re going to your films.
Whenever a small grouping of terms maybe maybe not containing an interest and acts that are verb an adverb, it really is called an adverbial expression. Prepositional phrases frequently have actually adverbial functions place that is(telling time, modifying the verb):
- He went towards the films. Read more